Current Products

Seventeen Limited Edition 00 gauge model railway wagons are currently available, including variations. All models are based on original research and come complete with a Limited Edition certificate. They are compatible with other 00 gauge rolling stock produced by Hornby, Bachmann and others. Models have weighted finely moulded plastic bodies, run on spoked metal wheels and are fitted with detachable tension lock couplings (all the current wagons have slim-line couplings in standard NEM pockets). Each wagon is boxed separately with a clear plastic insert ensuring easy viewing and safe handling. These are ready-to-run models and are ideal for operating or for display purposes. Each is an authentic model and a collectable item.

Authenticity: We sell ‘history on wheels’. With our Industrial History backgrounds, we always strive to make the appearance of our model wagons match the original photographs or drawings as closely as possible. We try not to simplify designs. Unlike some other specialist suppliers, all our wagons are ‘Authentic’ unless we specifically declare them a 'Variation on Authenticor ‘tailored, based on other historic evidence’. Feedback is always welcome, as are further details about wagons past and present, and ideas for future releases.

 

 

No.315 Longmoor Military Railway, 4-plank wagon with sand load. No.46299

Medium Grey body, White lettering, Red end irons.

Suitable: Military Railways, maybe others

Variation on Authentic based on composite examples 

For sixty years, the British Army operated a railway dedicated to training soldiers to operate a complete strategic rail supply system. Located on somewhat boggy heathland between Bordon and Liss, on the Hampshire-Sussex border, the facility developed, both in its purpose and its geography, becoming the Longmoor Military Railway (L.M.R) in 1935. It played a pivotal role in training soldiers and officers to understand the complex and inter-related aspects of railway construction, engineering, repair, operations, traffic, and management, all from a military viewpoint.

Low Stock - less than 20 remaining.

£11.00 each

Note that No.314 Longmoor Military Railway, 4-plank wagon in Olive Green with sand load. No.46299 is now sold out

 
 

No.324  SDJR Loco Coal. 5-plank wagon with coal load. No.1181

Light Grey body with white letters and black detail. .
S
uitable: S&DJR, possibly SR, LMS

Authentic

Photographed at Templecombe during July 1930, this represents one of 65 wagons built by the Midland Railway in 1902, transferred to the S.& D.J.R. in 1914, and later allocated to S.R. diagram 1306. The wagon is already carrying the L.M.S. initials in addition to the Joint Line livery – the L.M.S. having taken over all traffic and rolling stock functions on the S.& D.J.R. from 1st July 1930.The small cast iron plate on the left is stencilled ‘When empty, return to Highbridge Wharf’, as much of the S.& D.J.Rs coal came into Highbridge by coaster from South Wales. Other wagons would have been labelled as ‘return to Midsomer Norton’ or ‘return to Radstock’.

£11.00 each

 

 

No.284 Marks & Riches Ltd, Wholesale Fruit importers, of Jersey, Guernsey and Southampton, Period Shipping Container No.6 on G.W. Conflat wagon No.39329

SR Brown container body, white lettering, shaded red. Dark Grey wagon.
Suitable: GWR, LSWR, SR.

Authentic

Marks & Riches were the dominant fruit and vegetable wholesalers in the Channel Islands for over 100 years. Their principle supply of bananas came via Fyffes Line’s dedicated trans-shipment warehouse at Avonmouth Docks, Bristol. Because of the delicate ripening process for bananas, the first departures from Avonmouth after a fruit boat had arrived were container wagons for Channel Islands and the Isle of Wight. From a photograph at Avonmouth in the 1930’s.

Low Stock - less than 20 remaining.    

£17.80 each

 

No.305 United Dairies 6-wheeled Milk Tanker, un-numbered

Off-white body, Red, Navy Blue lettering.
S
uitable: GWR, SR, others

Variation on Authentic - Most genuine tanker liveries are already available. However this version represents the earliest version of a UD colourscheme, as noted on a MILTA 4-wheeled tanker in 1927

This wagon represents one of the earliest liveries of United Dairies, and is based on a photograph at the (then new) Wootton Bassett Milk Factory in 1927. The introduction of 3000 gallon tankers in early 1927 largely superceded the labour-intensive use of churns. Up to 30 of the glass-lined tankers were dispatched daily from Wootton Bassett to West Ealing, near Paddington. In later years the wagons were distributed to a variety of milk bbottling plants around West and South London.

£14.80 each

 

 

No.325 Royal Naval Propellants Factory. Gunpowder Van. No.116

Light blue wagon with black and red lettering, dark grey roof.
S
uitable Military Railways, SR, GWR

No.326 Royal Naval Propellants Factory. Gunpowder Van No.116

Light Grey wagon with black and red lettering, dark grey roof. .
S
uitable Military Railways, SR, GWR

Variation on Authentic based on composite examples 

The Royal Navy Propellant Factory at Caerwent, Monmouthshire was dedicated to the manufacture of explosives and munitions storage between 1939 and 1993. The factory needed over 3m gallons of water per day to manufacture cordite; it was conveniently located close to the G.W.R’s Severn Tunnel, and pumping from ‘The Great Spring’ in the tunnel provided a surplus of 7.5m gallons, which was piped to the factory. When manufacture of explosives finished in 1966, the site was taken over by the U.S. Army, becoming their largest UK munitions store until eventually closed in August 1993.

£12.50 each

 

No.310 J.S.Fry & Sons Ltd., Union Street, Bristol. Road-rail containerNo.15 on GWR Conflat No.38791 (No.22 illustrated)

Dark Blue body, white letters. Wagon is GWR Brown with white letters  
Suitable: GWR, LSWR, SR, S&DJR, others 
.

Authentic 

Joseph Fry started making cocoa in 1759. Later becoming J.S.Fry & Sons, the company developed Britain's first moulded chocolate bars in 1847. They merged with Cadbury in 1919, moving from central Bristol to the Somerdale factory in 1923. Fry's operated a number of road-rail containers, widely used for local and long distance deliveries. This example represents one photographered at Canon's Marsh Goods Yard in 1912.                                    

£17.80 each

 

No.307  Oliver James Gullick of Bristol, 5-Plank wagon with coal Load, No.116

Charcoal black body, white lettering
Suitable: GWR, MR, SDJR, LMS

Authentic

OLiver J Gullick set up as a coal salesman in the 1880's, probably as an agent for F.Bird & Co. of Radstock. By 1902, he had his own premises at Clifton Down Station, and expanded in 1904 to include a larger depot at Montpelier Station. The business had a number of 8-ton wagons. No.116 was photographed at Minehead in January 1923.

£11.00 each

 

 

No.327 GWR Drinking Water Rectank. No.25

Off White Body, extra dark red lettering
S
uitable: GWR

Authentic

G.W.R. Camp Coaches were often positioned on remote, un-serviced sidings. This tank wagon was photographed with a Camp Coach at Powerstock, on the Bridport Branch in Dorset, in 1938. With no mains water supply, the tank wagon provided water for all purposes. Despite being [clearly] labelled as ‘Drinking Water’, water for drinking for the station and the residents came in daily by passenger train from Maiden Newton. Other Camp Coaches are known to have been paired with dedicated 6-wheel milk tankers. All such examples were assigned to the Loco.Dept., as they were also used to support locomotive operations.

£14.00 each

 

No.322  Bristol Brewery Georges & Co.Ltd, GW Fruit Van No.7

Dark blue body, red and gold lettering.
Suitable: GWR, LMR, S&DJR

Tailored, based on historic documents.

The Bristol Porter Brewery was built about 1730. It passed through several owners, eventually being led by Philip George, a successful wine merchant and distiller, and a member of the Fry (chocolate) family. He opened a Pale Ale Brewery in the mid-1790s. Bristol Brewery Georges & Co.Ltd was registered as a limited company in 1888, and subsequently began acquiring many of the smaller independent rivals around Bristol and west Wiltshire. The business was bought by Courage, Barclay & Simmons Ltd of London in 1960, along with 1,459 ties pubs. They ceased brewing in 1999.

£12.50 each

 

 

No.319 Royal Navy S.N.S.O. Gunpowder Van, No.772, in Grey

Medium Grey body, Grey lettering, gold, dark blue details. Suitable: Military Railways, SR, GWR, maybe others

Variation on Authentic based on composite examples 

The L&SWR and LBSCR joint main line reach Portsmouth in 1847. The internal railway system within the historic dockyard was developed from that date, and was modified and extended many times, at its peak offering 25 miles of tracks . The earliest steam locomotives arrived in 1864, used by contractors to build the 180 acres of new basins. In 1883 the Royal Railway Shelter was built next to the regular berth of the Royal yacht, HMY Victoria & Albert. The system finally closed in 1979

The Senior Naval Stores Officer (S.N.S.O.) was responsible for most of the non-armament stores for both the Dockyard and for the ships based there.

£12.50 each

Note that No.318 Royal Navy S.N.S.O. Gunpowder Van, No.772, in Blue is now sold out

No.312  Alfred J Fudge of Bristol , 5-Plank wagon with Load, No.9

Charcoal black body, white lettering,
Suitable: GWR, MR, LMR

Authentic

Alfred John Fudge was noted as a Coal Agent in 1901, and is believed to have bought his first wagons in 1905. Coal appears to have been obtained almost exclusively from Hall Collieries at Swadlincote, on the Midland Railway. This roup of collieries, about 5 miles from Burton-on-Trent, included the mines at Bretby and at Cdley Hill. This wagon was photographed at the Gloucester RC&WCo. in October 1912.

£11.00 each

 

No.320 Challicom & Co.Ltd of Clevedon, near Bristol. Removal Contractors, Shipping container in chocolate, on GWR 'conflat' Wagon No.38669.

No.321 Challicom & Co.Ltd of Clevedon, near Bristol. Removal Contractors, Shipping container in Dark Green, on GWR 'conflat' Wagon No.38669.

Authentic  

Challicom & Co. were furniture retailers, removal contractors, and storage and shipping agents. They were established in 1858 and prospered throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. They eventually had a flagship store in Hill Road, Clevedon. This shipping container was noted on an early petrol lorry, probably an Bristol 4-tonner, c.1913. The business closed in June 2014, and the buildings have been converted into apartments and smaller retail units.

£17.80 each

No.306. James Blake & Co. of Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, 5-plank wagon with load. No.6

Mid-grey body, black and cream lettering, red and cream shadows
Suita
ble: IoW Railways, SR.

Tailored, based on historic documents.

The Newport, Yarmouth and Freshwater Railway opened in 1883, and survived, with varying levels of debt and independence until Gropuping in 1923. The Blake family were successful merchants, establishing a trading business in Yarmouth in 1790, particularly distributing coal from N.E. England around West Wight, based at Yarmouth Pier. James Ruffin Blake added further depots at Freshwater Station and Yarmouth Station as the FYN Rly opened.

Low Stock - less than 20 remaining.       

£11.00 each

 

No.316 Read & Westmoreland of Salisbury, 7-plank wagon on 9’ wheelbase with sand load. No.23

Black body, white lettering. Suitable: GWR, LSWR, SR, LMS

Authentic  

Read & Son were established coal factors in Salisbury before 1867, as they are known to have had broad-gauge wagons. In the later 1880’s they went into partnership with Westmoreland, although later wagons reverted to Read & Son. Almost all of their coal supply came from Trafalgar and Lightmoor Collieries in the Forest of Dean. Reads had plenty of wagons, at one point in the 1880s at least 166 wagons were recorded, mostly leased from Gloucester Wagon Co.Ltd. They were trading into the 1940’s.

£11.00 each

 

No.294 Carter Paterson, Road/rail Container No 203, on SR Container flat No.39230
Dark Green body with red panels, yellow letters, black shadow, Schweppes advertisement in yellow, red and black. Conflat in SR Brown with white lettering, Suitable: SR, GWR, LMS, LNER, BR(S), others

Authentic 

Carter Paterson was founded in 1860, formed into a private company (Carter, Paterson & Co., Ltd.) in 1887, and converted into a public company in February 1934. In October 1933, the ‘Big Four’ railway companies purchased control of the company in equal shares. Its head office was at 128 Goswell Road, London EC1. Upon nationalisation ownership passed to the British Transport Commission, and Carter Paterson was subsequently absorbed into British Road Services. This example was photographed at Southampton Docks in 1935

Last Few - less than 5 remaining.     

 £18.80 each

 

Earlier wagons

Our Limited Edition wagons are exactly that: they are available for a limited period and when they are all sold, they cease to be available!

However, we do very occasionally have access to individual wagons which were previously 'sold out', perhaps when a regular customer has asked us to help them as they 'thin' their collection; we do keep a waiting list for specific wagons - let us know which one(s) you are looking for and we will let you know if one becomes available. There are none currently available [29th November 2017]: they would normally be shown in Red on the HISTORY page.

 

 


Click here to return to the top of this page