Below are some of the wagons we expect to release over the next few months. The exact schedule may vary, depending on Dapol’s other commitments, and our own domestic activities. We do not offer images of forthcoming wagons, to ensure our products remain exclusive and interesting.
Due in for 30th September, for Fareham MREx, 6/7th October
No.343 Tom Parker Dairies of Fareham, 6-wheel Milk Tanker, un-numbered (Produced exclusively for Fareham & District MRC)
SR Maunsell Green body, cream letters, red shadow: Suitable: LSWR, LBSCR, SR, others
Only available from Fareham MRC: See www.fareham-mrc.org.uk/pre-order-a-limited-edition-box-van for contact details.
NOT STOCKED BY WESSEX WAGONS, NOT AVAILABLE FROM WESSEX WAGONS
No.347 Lovell & Cox of St Peter Port, Guernsey, Container No.30 and LSWR Conflat No.5822
Extra Dark Red body, white lettering. Suitable: LB&SCR, L&SWR, SR, GWR, Channel Island Railways, also others.
Lovell & Cox were a large Channel Island business, covering furniture retail, household furnishings, estate agency, auctioneers, warehousing and shipping agents. They proudly proclaimed “Removals by road or rail” and “Goods Removed to all Parts of the Kingdom”. The container was photographed on a horse- cart, probably on Guernsey, around the turn of the 20th century.
Due in late October, for Taunton MREx, 27/28th October
No.348 Western Counties Agricultural Cooperative Association (t/a Kingsburn Coal), of Plymouth & Bristol, 7-plank wagon on 9’ wheelbase with coal load. No.14
Dark Blue body, bright yellow lettering, black shadows. Suitable: GWR, S&DJR, L&SWR, SR, also others.
There were a number of West of England agricultural associations that dealt with coal, which they supplied to their numerous members. The Western Counties Agricultural Cooperative Association Ltd was based in Barnstable. However they had a trading arrangement with the Kingsburn Coal Co, who had a depot at Redcliffe Wharf, on the Bristol Harbour lines. Their stunning ‘sun-burst’ livery was shown on a business postcard dating from c.1926.
No.349 EPPS’S Cocoa, GWR-style vent van. No.9
Navy Blue body, white lettering. Suitable: LB&SCR, L&SWR, SR, GWR, also others.
Tailored based on historic documents
Dr John Epps (1805 – 1869), was one of the pioneers of homeopathy in Britain. Dr John Epps was not the first person to invent soluble cocoa powder, but he discovered a way to make it more appetising, mixing the cocoa with 20% West Indies arrowroot and 13% sugar. His brother James Epps, a London merchant, was largely responsible for presenting the product to the mass market; He heavily advertised Epps’ Cocoa, and by 1855 had coined a distinctive slogan, “grateful and comforting”. Epps’ cocoa was first sold from 1839 for the use of patients for whom tea and coffee were restricted. The almost prohibitive duty on cocoa had been greatly reduced in 1832, allowing the market to grow exponentially. Epps’ Cocoa was initially produced under contract by instant cocoa powder pioneer, Daniel Dunn of Pentonville Road. Epps established his own factory at 398 Euston Road, London in 1863, with a new steam-powered works established at Blackfriars in 1878. Epps was the largest cocoa powder producer in Britain, with an output of nearly five million pounds a year. At its peak the firm processed half of all cocoa imports into Britain. Epps Cocoa later becoming ubiquitous on stations across the country in the form of blue and white enamel signs.
No.350 W & E.C. Carne, Brewers, Maltsters and General Agents, of Falmouth & Truro, GWR-style van. No.4
Light brown body, cream lettering, red detail. Suitable: GWR, maybe LB&SCR, L&SWR, SR, others.
Tailored based on historic documents
Brothers William and Edward Clifton Carne came from an important family of merchants, bankers and mine speculators and William, like his father, served more than once as mayor of Falmouth. The expansion of their business can be charted: in 1847 they are general merchants; by 1856 wines and spirits have been added to their portfolio (along with guano...); by 1877 the Carnes boasted in advertisements of being the ‘sole agent’ for the Falmouth Brewery Co’s Ales, and in 1878 were listing ale and porter among their interests, though still not describing themselves as brewers. However, by 1883 part of their enterprise was referred to as “Carne’s Brewery”. Apparently it was acquired by the large West Country brewing firm of Devenish in 1921 and that brewing ceased in 1926.
Click here to return to the top of this page