Babbinswood Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Whittington
There was an earlier Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Babbinswood before this one. It was reported in a local newspaper in July 1866 that it had been built "about 3 years ago" and was described as a "beautiful little sanctuary" which was just free from debt. When the Rev. James Daniel[s] left Babbinswood in July 1866 a local newspaper reported that he had finished "his three years ministration", so the chapel must have been extant by 1863. It appears on the 1874 25 inch O. S. map. In March 1903 they decided to take down the old chapel and build one "larger and better suited to modern requirements". The foundation stone of the chapel in this photograph was laid on 4 June 1903. The chapel opened on the 10th of September 1903. It had cost £350 to build & accommodated 100 worshippers. It was still in use as a Methodist chapel in 2002 but by 2014 had closed and been converted into a residence.
Grid ref: SJ 333302.