[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bayston Hill
The local Primitive Methodists had been meeting in Mr. W. Whitefoot's house but by 1860 this had become too small, so they built a chapel in Grove Lane in 1861 on a plot of land bought in 1860 for £60. The foundation stone was laid on 1st April and it was opened on 30th June 1861. It was built of brick (reputedly obtained from derelict buildings at Red Hill coal pit), measured 30 ft by 20 ft and had 2 window on each side, and cost in total £180. The chapel ceased to be used for religious purposes sometime after 1956 & has now been converted to residential use & remodelled. The chapel was de-registered as a place of worship on 29 September 1959. The modern Methodist chapel in Landsdown Road was opened on 16th May 1970.
There is a photograph of the 1861 chapel in the "Shropshire Star" of 26th March 2009.
Grid ref: SJ480082