[former] Independent Chapel, Bishop's Castle
An Independent (Congregational) Church was formed here in 1807. They built this chapel in 1809-10 "near the town hall" and licensed it at the county quarter sessions in January 1810. In 1851 there was free seating for 50 people, and rented seating for 150. There were 45 people at their morning service and 80 at their evening service with 25 Sunday scholars in 1851. The chapel closed for a time in the early 1870s, and was thoroughly renovated in 1883 at a cost of £116. The interior was completely remodelled, the ceiling arched, the walls replastered and the bottom wainscotted with oak panelling from the old pews. Seats superseded the old high-backed pews, and a neat rostrum replaced the old pulpit. The gallery was also removed. It was renovated again in 1891. At the end of the 19th century it was described as being built in an out-of-the-way place & reached through an unpleasant thoroughfare. They celebrated their centenary in 1907. The chapel was replaced by a new Congregational chapel q.v. in Station Road, built in 1913. Following alterations, the building in this picture is now used for other purposes.
For a photograph of the chapel taken in the late 19th century, click here.
Grid Ref: SO323889