Baptist Chapel, West Castle Street, Bridgnorth
This chapel was built in 1842 at a cost of £1400, and opened for worship on 7th July of that year. It was built by a Baptist congregation which had been in existence since at least the latter part of the 17th century (throughout the 18th century it had only been a small church). Their first meeting place was near the bridge which crosses the Severn. About 1738 they moved to a bigger building erected on the same site as the present chapel is built on. In 1851 the chapel (pictured) had free seating for 130 people and rented seating for 320. There were 107 people at their morning service and 130 at their evening service on 30 March 1851, as well as 65 Sunday scholars. The building is in good condition, & still in use in 2018. There are gravestones in the burial ground at the front & there is a modern extension at the back.
The building bears a resemblance to Shifnal Baptist chapel erected in the following year.
Grid ref: SO 716930