Wesleyan Methodist (now Bridgnorth United Reformed and Methodist Church) Chapel, Cartway, Bridgnorth
The Wesleyan Methodists built this chapel , which was designed by Thomas Powell, in 1853 in the classical style. The Methodists were joined in 1962 by the Congregational Church. The chapel is still in use in 2016 and in a fair condition. The previous Wesleyan Methodist Chapel "small but neat" was situated on St. Mary's Steps and was built in 1832 and opened on 4th July. It was enlarged before 1851, by which time it could accommode about 220 worshippers. In the 1851 Religious census there were 90 worshippers at their morning service and 200 at their evening one, plus 20 Sunday scholars in the morning. For a modern photograph of the old chapel, click here, and for a map of its location, click here.