[former] Old Stoneway Independent Chapel, Bridgnorth
The first Independent chapel was built in 1710 [trust deed dated 2nd August] in the Old Stoneway on the north side of the street. It was licensed at the county quarter sessions in January 1711. The chapel could accommodate about 400 worshippers. It had a double-gabled structure built after the style of Matthew Henry's chapel in Chester. The roof was supported by two large pillars rising from the middle of the chapel. There was a gallery on the west side and a large sounding-board above the pulpit. This is the chapel in the painting, which was painted just before its demolition in 1829, by which time it was in a poor condition. A new chapel was built in 1829 at a cost of £1000.