[former] Congregational Chapel, Bog MInes
[former] Congregational Chapel, Bog Mines
On Friday 13th September 1839 a Congregational chapel was opened at the Bog lead mines with two sermons being preached, in the morning by the Rev. Thomas Weaver of Shrewsbury, and in the afternoon by the Rev. Samuel Luke of Chester. The contributions on the day amounting to 30 1s. 4d. The chapel was described at the time as "neat and commodious" and built with the contributions of the lead miners, assisted by the mine proprietors Messrs Cross, Walker & Co., of Chester. The chapel does not appear in the 1851 Religious Census or in Bagshaw's Gazetteer of Shropshire of 1851, nor on the 1882 25inch O.S. map. It is possible that its demise was strongly connected with the closure of the mine in 1844. Most of the village was demolished in 1972 except for what is known as "the school" (now used as the visitor's centre) and a few other buildings. It is possible or even likely that the building in the photograph was originally the chapel with a former entrance at the short end (on the right in this photograph). There is a datestone over the modern extension on the short end which is in a poor condition, but the date reads either 1830 or 1839.
Grid ref: SO 356979

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here