[former] Broughall Congregational Chapel, near Whitchurch
Congregational meetings started in Broughall in 1822 when Mr Samuel Glassey of the Crab Mill licensed his own house as a meeting place. This rather elegant Congregational chapel was built in 1835 at a cost of about £200. The land & the clay for making the bricks were given by Mr. Becket. In 1851 it was reported to have had sittings for about 70 worshippers. In the Religious Census of that year, they had 15 worshippers at their afternoon service and 20 Sunday scholars. It is not known when it ceased to be used for religious purposes, but it appears as a chapel in an O.S. map surveyed in 1924. It has since closed and been converted to residential use. It has been substantially altered, refenestrated and the entrance moved from the short side on the west of the building to the long side on the south. What gives it away as the former chapel are the four pilasters on the long side of the building, facing the road. Thankfully there is an old photograph showing the chapel as it was in its hayday.
Grid ref: SJ 577419