[former] Butlers Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel [former] Butlers Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shawbury
Butlers Bank was first missioned by Primitive Methodist preachers in 1824. Eventually this little chapel was built in 1843. In 1851 it had free seating for 70 people and rented seating for 40. At their three services on Census Sunday, 30 March 1851, they had 30, 74, & 60 attenders. There were no reported Sunday scholars. The chapel was enlarged in 1859, 8 yards by 3 yards, and rising pews installed, and the chapel was re-opened on 10th July of that year. Improvements were made to the building in 1864 at a cost of about 30, by which time the chapel was free of debt. The chapel closed in the late 1950s, and was sold c. 1964. It has now been converted to a house and is unrecognisable as a former chapel. This is a photograph of the chapel as it used to be.
Grid ref: SJ 584226

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

Photograph kindly supplied by Mollie Tricket, to whom the copyright belongs.

To return to the main page, click here