[former] Cleehill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
This rubble-stone wall is all that is left of an old chapel at Cleehill. It is clearly marked on old Ordnance Survey maps. However, there is no surviving commemorative plaque. It is possibly the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel erected c. 1784. It was certainly in existence by 1796 when its register of baptisms begins. In 1851 it had 192 free sittings and 120 [rented] sittings and a reported attendance of 200 at their morning service and 250 at their afternoon service, plus 72 Sunday scholars in the 30 March Religious Census of that year. The Ordnance Survey recorded a "disused chapel" here, with its own burial ground surrounding it, in 1883. By c. 2002 the building was derelict and falling down.
In 1878 it had been decided to build a new chapel and schools but lack of money meant that only the schools were built & the Methodists worshipped there for some years. There was a new Wesleyan chapel built in Cleehill afterwards as local newspapers make plain. In July 1901 they reported that "for some years" there had been an "absolute need" for a new chapel and 3 years previously a plan was formulated to raise funds for the erection of a substantial building. Tenders to build a new chapel were invited in November 1902. The foundation stone laying took place on 30th April 1903. The architects were Messrs Joynson of Darlaston and the builders were Messrs Turford and Southward of Ludlow. The chapel cost about £900 to £1000 to build and would seat about 200 worshippers. It was situated on the Ludlow Road, to the west of the village, in close proximity to the schools (which they had built previously), and had a street frontage of 48 ft.. It was hoped to complete the construction of the chapel by August or September 1903. The chapel building is still there but has been considerably altered for residential use, but the gothic window in the gable end gives it away.
Grid ref: SO 594756 (old chapel) & SO 590754 (1903 chapel)