[former] Clive Independent Chapel
There was reported to have been meetings of Independents from c. 1797 onwards in the parish. They built a chapel in 1830 which was described in 1837 as "a small, but neat, Independent Chapel in the village, and what is rather unusual, retains the ancient straw covering," in other words it was thatched. The only one in the county so far discovered. The chapel in this photograph was erected in 1844. In 1851 there was free seating for 150 people and rented seating for 50. There were 55 attenders at their afternoon service and 33 at their evening service on Census Sunday 30 March 1851, plus 16 Sunday scholars. The chapel was renovated in 1879. The chapel closed in the early 1950s, and in 2002 was being used as a garage.
Grid ref: SJ 516244.