Clunton Primitive Methodist Chapel
[former] Clunton Primitive Methodist Chapel
This chapel was built in 1870 in polychrome brick, with an unusual ogee shaped design in the brickwork on the gable end. The chapel cost 300 to build, towards which the land and 100 was given by the Revd Edward Williams. It seated about 150 worshippers. The inscription above the door reads: PRIMITIVE METHODIST/ CHAPEL/ ERECTED 1870/ PREPARE TO MEET THEY GOD. The chapel was registered for the solemnization of marriages on the 29th June 1872. The building was sold in 1970 & de-registered as a place of religious worship on 19th May 1971 & by 2002 was converted to residential and business use and called The Old Spice Works.
This chapel replaced a former chapel which opened in August 1853 and was built at a cost of just over 73 17s 1d. The chapel was lengthened by 10 feet in 1862 at a cost of more than 60, to accommodate another 60 worshippers and re-opened on 26th October 1862.
Grid ref: SO 335813

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here