[former] Cockshutt Primitive Methodist Chapel
There was an earlier Primitive Methodist chapel in Cockshutt than the one built in 1890/1. It does not appear in the 1851 Religious Census. The Primitive Methodist Magazine of 1855 reported that Cockshutt's debt had been reduced by £7, so presumably it had been built by then. The 1874 Ordnance Survey 25" map shows the chapel just to the SW of the 1890/1 chapel. In 1879 they were fundraising to reduce the "cumbrous debt which has long been upon their chapel". They intended raising £50 to pay it off and would "soon repair and improve the chapel, which certainly in greatly needed." In 1881 they were fundraising for a new harmonum, and in 1884 a Sunday School was established. The chapel closed when the new one was opened. There are a pair of stone cottages on the site now.
Grid ref: SJ 435286