Cotonwood a.k.a. Coton Primitive Methodist Chapel
There were Primitive Methodist meetings in Cotonwood for several decades before a chapel was built. In 1851 they were meeting in a dwelling house and in the Religious Census taken in March of that year they had 33 worshippers at their Sunday evening service. This little chapel was built on land bought on 23rd June 1888 for £25 from G. Batho of Heath Lane, near Whitchurch. This was followed on the 4th July by a stone laying ceremony. The chapel cost just over £70 to build. By 1904 the chapel was free of debt. The chapel was registered for the solemnizatin of marriages on 2nd July 1937. There is a neatly kept burial ground surrounding the chapel with old and modern gravestones in it. The chapel is still in use in 2019. For another view of the chapel, click here. For a view of the datestone click here.
Grid ref: SJ 535359