Baptist Chapel, Park Road, Dawley Bank
This modern Baptist chapel was built in 2000 to a design by Baart Harries Newall and opened on 13 January 2001. There is a small commemorative stone set low down into the front wall which reads "MILLENIUM 2000".
It replaced a former chapel erected in 1860 whose foundation stone was laid by Dr. Cranage on 14 May, and which opened on 30 September of that year. This chapel was designed by Mr Samuel Bray and built by Mr Bray of Dawley. It was described at the time as a "very neat structure" which would accommodate 600 people. It had a blue brick facade and contained a gallery. A porch was built in 1893 & raised in 1906 to contain an organ loft. This chapel was demolished in 1999-2000.
This former chapel was itself a replacement for a small chapel (on the site of the former bull ring) opened in 1846, whose success meant that galleries seating 140 worshippers were added in 1851. This little chapel had 60 worshippers at their morning service and 180 at their evening one, plus 90-110 Sunday scholars, on census Sunday 30th March 1851. It was reported in 1860 that the chapel had twice been enlarged since 1846.
Grid ref: SJ 684084