Baptist Chapel, Queen's Road, Donnington Wood
This modern chapel was erected in 1968 to replace a former chapel situated further to the east in Queen's Road, which was sold when the new chapel was built. This chapel is still in use in 2019.
A number of Baptist are known to have lived in the area in the early 19th century, and two houses, belonging to Richard Pickering and John Barnett were registered for religious worship in 1813 & 1814. A congregation of twelve Baptists (dismissed from several churches in the neighbourhood) was established at the Donnington Wood Iron Works in 1820 and met in private houses. In 1830 they built a chapel which and opened on the 15th August 1830. The chapel had a vestry and large burial ground attached and was surrounded by a brick wall. £33 9s. 3d. was collected at the opening services. In 1851 it had seating for just over 200 worshippers. At their three services on Census Sunday 30 March 1851, they had 50, 100 and 20 worshippers in the morning, afternoon and evening respectively, and also 170 Sunday Scholars. In 1968 they built the chapel in the photograph.
Grid ref: SJ 708132