Market Drayton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
The original Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1808 in Shropshire Street. In 1842 a new gallery was added costing £50. In 1851 this early Wesleyan Methodist chapel had seating for nearly 300 people. There were 152 worshippers at their morning service in March 1851 and 196 at their evening one, plus between 91 and 98 Sunday scholars. The chapel was replaced by the gothic chapel in this old photograph. It was designed by the architect George Bidlake of Wolverhampton and built by Mr Tranter of St. George's. It was erected in 1864 following an invitation for tenders from builders in July of that year. The foundation stones of this chapel were laid on the 18th August 1864. The building lasted just over 100 years & was replaced by the Methodist chapel in 1975.
Grid ref: SJ 671339.