[former] "Bethel" Primitive Methodist Chapel, Edgmond
The first Primitive Methodist Chapel, called "Bethel" was built in Edgmond in 1834-5 on a site on the main road through the village and opened on 11th January 1835. The chapel was 22ft by 18ft containing 8 small pews. The chapel was registered for nonconformist worship on the 27th April 1835. In the 1851 Religious Census, it was reported to have had 91 sittings. There were 44 at their afternoon service and 58 at their evening one, together with 27 Sunday scholars. Before that they used to worship in a house whose owner was fined for holding meetings there.This early chapel no longer exists. A new chapel (photographed) with its own burial ground was built in 1860 at a cost of £135 and opened on the 9th December 1860. It was in use as a Methodist chapel until 8 May 2016, when the last service was held, due to declining attendance. The building was de-registered as a place of religious worship in April 2018. In 2020 an application was made to convert the chapel into two residential dwellings, but the burial ground at the rear would remain in use for burials.
Grid ref: SJ 723197.