[former] Congregational Chapel, Victoria Street, Ellesmere
This chapel was erected in 1884 at a cost of £520 to a design by Mr E. Bremner Smith of Oswestry and the builder was Mr W. Howell of Ellesmere. The foundation stone was laid on the 24th July by Thomas Barnes of the Quinta and the chapel was formally opened on the 25th November 1884. The commemorative stone has the inscription "CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH 1884" on it. By the time of the opening nearly all the money had been raised. By 2002 the building was not being used as a place of worship, but by the Tornade Stripping Co.
A Congregational Church was formed in Ellesmere on the 12th November 1786 but they had been meeting for some years before that. Edward Williams, dissenting minister of Oswestry, registered a building called the "White House" at the county quarter sessions on 9th April 1782. They built a chapel in plain brick in 1805-6 in Chapel Street "near Swine Market Hill", helped by a donation of £10 from Sir Rowland Hill. The chapel was licensed at the county quarter sessions on 7th October 1806 by John Whitridge, Joseph Parry, Josiah Parry & Thomas Jones. In 1835 it was reported to have been enlarged & improved and that they had erected two schoolrooms. All was paid for before the work was finished. At the time of the 1851 Religious Census they had 104 worshippers at their evening service but with accommodation for about 300 worshippers. It was described in 1851 as a "plain brick building, with galleries". In 1869 the Oswestry architect William Henry Spaull furnished plans for extensive alterations and improvements to the chapel. The front was to be renovated & provided with an entrance porch with a gallery over it. The rear of the chapel would be partially demolished & the chapel extended 24 ft & a vestry added. The interior would be thoroughly re-arranged. It would seem that Mr Spaull's plans were not implemented as by 1884 the chapel was described as "unfit for use", so they built a new chapel (in the photograph) on the same site.
Grid ref: SJ 398347
For a view of the chapel in the late 19th century, click here.