[former] Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Watergate Street, Ellesmere
Wesleyan Methodists had been meeting since 11 July 1809 in George Yould's dwelling house in Scotland Street, Ellesmere, when it was registered as a place of religious worship. The Wesleyan Methodists built a small chapel in Watergate Street in 1844. In the 1851 Religious Census it was reported that there were 100 free sittings & 100 "other" sittings in the chapel. There were on average 100 worshippers at their morning service and 150 at their evening one, plus 50 Sunday scholars in the morning. The chapels subsequent history is not known; the chapel building appears on the 1874 25" or 6" Ordnance Survey maps but is not named as such. However, it is shown and named on the 1900, 1924 & 1938 O.S. maps. Reportedly the Wesleyans in 1932 joined with the Primitive Methodists to worship in Trimpley Street. Following its closure the chapel was used as a warehouse & is now covered by modern housing, so the building must have been demolished.
Grid ref: SJ 400348