[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hadley
The first Primitive Methodist chapel in Hadley was built in 1841. In the 1851 Religious Census it was reported that there were 150 free sittings in the chapel. There were 69 worshippers at their afternoon service and 97 at their evening one on census Sunday. There were also 56 Sunday scholars in the morning. In August 1878 the trustees advertised for tenders for the building of a new chapel to the design of the architect Mr William E. Keys of Manchester. The chapel was built in 1879 and had opened by the end of August of that year. In 1880 they were fund raising to reduce the chapel debt which amounted to £1,600. In 1896 the chapel was described as in a "distressed condition" and the trustees needed to raise £215 & reduce the chapel liabilities by £250. The chapel closed in 1933 and by 1937 was in use as a cinema. The building has now been demolished and the site built on.
Grid ref:SJ 675119