[former] Hadnall Primitive Methodist Chapel
The first Primitive Methodists were meeting in houses in Hadnall by about 1822 and a circuit was established there in 1838. A chapel was reportedly built on the Hadnall Road in 1834. C. Hulbert in his "History and description of the county of Salop", 1837, page 249, reporting on Hadnall said of the Primitive Methodist chapel "all the seats are free" which was why they "met with so much encouragement". William Rooke, Primitive Methodist minister at Hadnall did not register the chapel here until 31st March 1841. In the 1851 Religious Census (where the chapel is listed under "Astley"), it was reported that the chapel was built in 1834 and had 100 free sittings. There were 68 worshippers at their afternoon service and 38 at the evening service. This chapel was sold for £140 so that a new chapel could be built. This small brick chapel (in the photograph), fronting the turnpike road to Shrewsbury was erected in 1862 at a cost of £320. The concluding services for the opening of the new chapel took place on the 19th April 1862. The chapel was 30 feet by 24 feet, and could accomodate 180 worshippers. Mr Walford was the architect and builder, who designed a chapel which was described at the time as "original". It had a beautiful rostrum and sixteen rising pews. The chapel was licensed for the solemnization of marriages on the 7th May 1864. It closed c.1950 and was sold c.1953. The building was reported to be disused and empty in 1990. The building collapsed early in 1993 and was being demolished in the early 21st century.
Grid ref: SJ 521196
For photographs of the chapel taken during its collapse or demolition, click here and here.
For a view of the inscription over the podium, click here.
There is a very good drawing of this chapel before it was demolished in "An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England", Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, (1986), page 195.