[former] Hanwood Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Little is known as yet about this chapel, but at the county quarter sessions held in January 1844 a meeting house licence was issued for a tenement in the occupation of William Davies in Hanwood, which may have been for the Wesleyans. In 1851 a Wesleyan Methodist meeting was being held in a private dwelling house in Hanwood when on Census Sunday, there were 58 worshippers at their evening meeting. In August 1888 a "Wesleyan room" was opened after substantial alterations and in 1903 the "chapel" was due to be renovated. The chapel was registered for the solemnization of marriages on 12th May 1914. The chapel was sold in the 1970s, & de-registered as a place of worship on 31st January 1972. The last society minutes are dated 1971. Although the chapel is not marked on either the 1880 or 1900 OS 25inch maps, it is known where it was; it is (still, now converted to residential use) on the left-hand side of the main road through Hanwood but before it goes under the railway on a sharp bend to the right then to the left.
Grid ref: SJ 438093