SHROPSHIRE'S NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS

[former] Bentlawnt Primitive Methodist Chapel
[former] Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hope's Gate

The Primitive Methodists had a cottage meeting in Hope's Gate in 1851 which had 18 attenders at their afternoon service on Census Sunday in March of that year. Land (in the adjoining hamlet of Bentlawnt) for a chapel was bought from Captain Barrot who subsequently returned the money to the trustees. This small neat chapel was erected in 1854-5 at a cost of 120 and opened on the 29th April 1855. It was built of stone, 27 ft x 21 ft, with seating for 120 worshippers. The plaque on the front of the building, which is difficult to read, says "P.M.C./ Ebenezer/ 1854". The chapel closed for 5 weeks in the summer of 1899 for alterations and renovation. The old seats were replaced by pews, a communion table put in, the ceiling boarded over, painted and varnished, and the front part of the chapel raised. The architect was Mr Challinor of the Bog, and the builder Messrs Treasure & Son of Shrewsbury. The chapel re-opened on the 20th August. The chapel had ceased to be used for religious purposes by 1984 and was sold. It was de-registered as a place of worship on 25 September 1983. When seen in 2001 it was being used for storage and was in a very poor condition. By 2017 it had been restored and had been converted to residential use. Grid ref: SJ 335014

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here