[former] Hopton Primitive Methodist Chapel, Great Ness|
The local congregation used to meet in a weaver's shop until they were given a plot of land and some money to erect a chapel. This chapel (27 ft x 21 ft) was built in 1833 in the local red sandstone, and held its first service on 1st December 1833. In 1851 it had an average attendance of 90 worshippers at their morning service, and 10 Sunday scholars. The chapel was closed and sold 1950-2 & by 2005 had been converted to a house. The original entrance to the chapel can be seen in the gable end (to the right) facing the road. For a view of the datetone click here.
Grid ref: SJ 384200