[former] Providence Chapel, Presbyterian Church of Wales, Houlston, in the parish of Myddle
This chapel was a forerunner to the chapel at Newton on the Hill. It is not yet known exactly when Houlston chapel was built. It does not appear in the 1851 Religious Census. After John Fox, farmer, left Tabernacle in Wales in 1850 & came to live in Houlston he established a congregation which met on his farm. After a while a plot of land was bought from Thomas Cliff & a chapel built. In 1864 the Montgomery & Salop Presbytery decided that the annual collection should go towards liquidating the debt on Houlston chapel. On the 28th May 1868 the building was licensed for the solemnization of marriages, having previously been certified as a building for religious worship. In 1871 the church had 25 members, & 73 in the congregation & seemed to be in a flourishing condition & they were given permission to put in some new seats. In 1875 the Montgomery & Salop Presbytery passed a resolution to clean & paint the chapel. In 1887 the chapel was reported to be in a "dangerous" condition. By early 1894 the congregation was very depleted in numbers, with only one member and 6 worshippers. Its exact date of closure is not known, but its replacement, the chapel at Newton on the Hill, opened in 1895. On 21 June 1902 the chapel at Houlston was described as "now disused".
Grid ref: SJ 480244