Primitive Methodist Chapel, Knockin Heath
The first Primitive Methodist Chapel here was built in 1831. In 1851 it had 143 sittings, with free space for 50 more. At their afternoon service on Census Sunday 30 March 1851 they had 156 worshippers and 101 at their evening one. The Sunday scholars at their morning meeting numbered 38. The datestone reads: "EBENEZER/ PRIMITIVE/ METHODIST CHAPEL/ BUILT 1831/ ENLARGED 1857". The chapel was enlarged in 1857 (at a cost of £168) to make it 28 ft x 24 ft, and 16 ft in height. It contained 16 pews in a gallery. The chapel re-opened on the 15th november 1857. The chapel has a modern porch added at the front. There is a burial ground at the back. It was still in use as a Methodist Chapel in 2016.
Grid ref: SJ 355212.