[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Ketley Bank a.k.a. Coalpit Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel
A Primitive Methodist society was meeting in Coalpit Bank in 1830 and by 1841 they had moved to Ketley Bank where they rented a schoolroom (capable of accommodating 120 worshippers) belonging to Robert Pocock. In the Religious Census of 1851 they were reported to have had 40 worshippers at their afternoon service and 82 at their evening one. A chapel was built on the site of this schoolroom in brick with round-headed windows in 1859. The Wellington Journal reported in early December 1859 that it was in course of construction. The chapel opened on 22 January 1860. A Sunday school was added in 1876. The chapel was given a new facade in 1907 when the chapel was lengthened by 14 ft., a porch added, the old gallery was removed, and the interior re-floored and re-pewed. Three new classrooms were added, each 16 ft. long. The architects were Messrs Elijah Jones & Jackson of Wellington, and the builders were Messrs John Blakemore & Son of Oakengates. The chapel re-opened on the 3rd December 1907. The chapel closed c. 1988 and by 1999 had been demolished. There are new houses on the site now.
Grid ref: SJ 690103