[former] Congregational Chapel, Old Street, Ludlow
The first Congregationalists in Ludlow met in a house belonging to Mrs Jones in the High Street, which had been licensed for religious worship in October 1730. They then built a chapel with a yard for burials (described in 1830 as in a dilapidated state) at the bottom of Corve Street in 1736, on the banks of the river. They built a new chapel (in this photograph) in Old Street in 1830, which had its own burial ground. The chapel opened on 23rd November 1830, and was later reported to have been built at a cost of £1000. The old chapel was sold to help to pay for the new chapel which was described in 1851 as "a neat structure capable of accommodating upwards of three hundred persons ... The congregation formerly assembled for divine worship in a chapel still standing, situate on the banks of the river, near the bottom of Corve Street. Before the erection of this fabric ... the dissenters conducted their religious services in a licensed dwelling house." In 1851 the chapel had seating for over 350 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 100 worshippers at their morning service and 120 at their evening one, together with 60 Sunday scholars in the morning and 108 in the afternoon. The chapel was closed about 1968 and was subsequently converted to residential use.The porch is modern & not part of the original construction. The chapel is approached by a narrow path and lovely garden. However, this makes photography very difficult. The large datestone in the gable bears the date 1830 in gold. For a view of the side of the chapel, click here. For a photograph of the interior of the chapel taken in the late 19th century, click here.
Many thanks are owed to the present owners for allowing Maurice Coleman access to the chapel and garden.
Grid ref: SO 512745