[former] New Street Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sandpits, Ludlow
This polychrome brick chapel was built in 1871. The chapel was built on a site given by Benjamin Weale, a local builder & businessman and subsequently Mayor of Ludlow, who also gave the bricks. It had seating for 170 worshippers and was built at a cost of £150. The opening sevices were held on Sunday 6th August and continuted on the following Sunday. The chapel is not very far from the other Primitive Methodist chapel in Sandpits (in New Road) which was built in 1878-9. It is not yet known why there were two Primitive Methodist chapels built in such close proximity to each other. It is not yet known when this chapel closed, but it is still marked as a chapel on the 1949 O.S. map. It is possibly the Primitive Methodist chapel which was de-registered as a place of worship on 19th October 1984. By 2005 it has reportedly been a dwelling for 20 years.
Grid ref: SO 514754