[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Old Street, Ludlow
The first Primitive Methodist preacher to visit Ludlow was Mr. Lloyd who preached in Holdgate Fee on 10th August 1821. The first Primitive Methodist chapel, accommodating about 300 worshippers, was built in Old Street in 1834/5 for £570. The building measured 36' x 25' & was lit by gas & had a gallery at the end. The chapel opened on Wednesday 23rd March 1836. By 1846 the chapel was in serious debt & subject to legal action, which it just managed to resolve. The chapel was enlarged in 1865 at a cost of nearly £250. By 1870 it had become too small, so a site about 50 yards from the old chapel was bought & the old houses on it were demolished. A new chapel (pictured here) was erected at a cost of almost £2224. The architect was Mr J. Grosvenor and the builder was William Russell. The five foundation stones were laid on 10th August 1870 and the chapel opened on 16th April 1871. It measured 65 ft by 36 ft with a circular cove roof supported by 10 cast iron columns. There were galleries on three sides. It could accommodate about 800 worshippers. There was a Sunday school attached with spacious classrooms underneath the chapel. It was described at the time as "one of the largest, if not the largest, place of worship" of that denomination in Shropshire. The chapel closed in 1958 & has been converted to commercial use.
Grid ref: SO 513745