[former] Bethesda Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Park Street, Madeley
A site for the chapel was bought in 1855. Bethesda Chapel was built in 1859-60 by Mr Barker for the Methodist New Connexion. The foundation stone was laid on the 7th November 1859 (described at the time as a "truly edifying and impressive ceremony"), the land for the chapel having been bought about four years before. The first service held at the new chapel took place on the 6th June 1860. The total cost of the land and the chapel was £330. The chapel measured 40 ft by 29 ft, and could accommodate about 250 worshippers. Kelly's Organ Harmonium was installed in 1863. In 1883 the remaining debt upon the chapel was £90 & had been further reduced to £80 by 1890. The chapel was completely renovated in 1898. The chapel closed in 1901, re-opened in 1902 and closed again in 1906-7. It was converted into the "Parkhurst" cinema in October 1910. Operated by Mr Dicky Bowers & Mr Richard Clarke, it was one of the earliest in the Midlands. It was later called the West End cinema and the Regent cinema. After the cinema closed in 1959, it was, for some time an engineering works and is now a private house.
Grid ref: SJ 691042
For later views of the chapel, click here: 1, and here: 2, and here: 3