Marton Independent Chapel
The first Independent chapel was erected in Marton in 1829 for a congregation which had been meeting since 1814 in local premises and also in the Wesleyan meeting place. It was built at the expence of W. Nevett, Esq., of Marton Villa except for the carriage of the materials which was done by Mr. Phillips. The chapel with a burial ground attached opened on the 15th July 1829. In 1851 it had seating for 150 people. On Census Sunday 1851 there were reported to be 100 worshippers at their morning service (plus 38 Sunday scholars) and 130 at their evening one (plus 29 Sunday scholars). "There are never 100 of all ages at this chapel except at a Christmas tea party" written in another hand on the census form. A manse was built in 1860 for £300. This old chapel was replaced by a new stone chapel (in this photograph) built in 1874 at a cost of £450; the foundation stone was laid by William Nevett, junior. It opened on 31 December 1874. The building is in good condition, and still in use as a Congregational Church in 2019.
Grid ref: SJ 289027.