Minsterley Independent Chapel
In 1795 a "chapel house" was licensed for nonconformist worship. A joint church of Independents and Baptists was formed in 1803 who fitted up part of a farmhouse for worship, which continued until 1833 when they separated, with the Independents building this chapel for £463 and the Baptists building the chapel at Lordshill, q.v. In 1851 the chapel had seating for about 200 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 84 people at their morning service and 102 at their evening one. In addition they had 50 children at their Sunday School in the morning. The chapel in Minsterley was built of brick which is now rendered. An upper floor was inserted in the late 19th century to be used as a schoolroom. The chapel is still in use by the Congregational church in 2016. Grid ref: SJ 375050
For a photograph of the chapel taken in the late 19th century, click here.