[former] Congregational Chapel, Church Lane, Market Drayton
Meetings of Independents had taken place for several years before this chapel was built, viz. at the house of Elizabeth Vernon which was licensed for nonconformist worship on 4th April 1769 by her and 15 others. This chapel was built in 1778 by William Griffith for the congregation that had been formally formed in 1776. The chapel was licensed at the county quarter sessions on 14th July 1778 by William Griffith and seven others. The chapel had high-backed pews and what was later described as an "old-fashioned pulpit". In 1851 the chapel had sittings for 500 worshippers, and was described as "neatly fitted up and provided with galleries". On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 81 worshippers at their morning service and 113 at the evening one. There also 25 at their Sunday School. It was said at the time that the size of the congregation was only half of what it had been 2 years before, due to the conduct of the minister who left the previous year, since when they had no settled minister. Extensive alterations to the back of the building took place 1865-7. including installing an organ, putting in a floor at gallery level and using the lower part of the building as classrooms. By 1949 the chapel had closed, and has been used for a number of different purposes since then.
Grid ref: SJ 674339
For a view of the other side of this former chapel, click here, and for a view of the original datestone, click here.