[former] Newport Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
[former] Newport Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
Upper Bar

The Wesleyan Methodists were holding meetings in Newport by the late 18th century. Later, meetings were held at the houses of James Williams & Josiah Clowes. Clowes was one of those registering two places of worship, one on 11th July 1809 & the other on 8th March 1819. In 1829 the Wesleyans converted a former theatre in Upper Bar into a chapel, at a total cost of 804. It held it's first service there on Sunday 6th December 1829. It was described as 60 ft long and 30 ft wide, and had a gallery at one end. In 1851 the chapel had seating for 210 people and was described as a "plain brick structure, of small dimensions." On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 22 worshippers at their morning service and 50 at their evening one. 40 children attended the Sunday School in the afternoon. By 1862 the trustees were looking for a site for a new chapel, but it was not until 1876-7 that a new chapel was built. By then the chapel in Upper Bar was said to be "old, decayed and not at all equal to the requirements of the town", & with a "gallery which is useless". By 2002 the chapel had been converted into a tile shop. The ground floor frontage has been totally replaced but the upper floor frontage is still recognisable as that of a chapel.
Grid ref: SJ 746187

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here