[former] "Zion" Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Slaney Street, Oakengates
There is no photograph of this chapel available at the present time. The Methodist New Connexion is reported to have been meeting in the south side of Oakengates in the 1850s. They built a chapel (named Zion) in Slaney Street (formerly called Commercial Street) on the northern side of Oakengates in 1866. The foundation stones were laid on the 19th March 1866. A bottle containing the rules of the MNC, a circuit plan, a list of services to be held that day and the names of the trustees, was put in a cavity in the stonework. The chapel seated 200 worshippers and cost about £400 to build. In March 1890 the chapel was advertised either for sale or to let and within a few years was sold & by 1896-7 had been converted into two houses.