Horeb Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road, Oswestry
The notice board on the chapel states "HOREB YR EGLWYS FETHODISTAIDD". Tenders to build the chapel were invited in March 1877. The foundation stone laying took place on the 21st September 1877 when a bottle containing the names of the trustees, the stone layer Mr Pryce Jones of Wrexham, the names of the architect and contractors and a copy of "Y Gwyliedydd". The architect of the chapel was Richard Davies of Bangor and the contrators were Messrs Morris, Chaplin & Corney of Oswestry. The total cost of the building including the land, was about £1900. The chapel was opened in 1878, to replace a chapel, called Bethesda in Penylan Lane which had been built in 1856, and before that they met in a room near the English Walls in Salop Road. In the 1851 Religious Census they had 50 worshippers at their afternoon service and 106 at their evening one, plus 20 Sunday scholars in the morning. It was reported in 1851 that they were contemplating "building a chapel in a short period".
At the new chapel they bought a Conacher organ in 1903. The present building is in good condition and still in use for religious purposes in 2016. There is a copy of an account of the history of the chapel 1878 to 1978 in Shropshire Archives.
Grid ref: SJ 290292