[former] Baptist Chapel, English Walls, Oswestry
The first Baptist chapel on this site was opened in 1806 on land given by John Roberts (who lies buried behind the chapel). The chapel was enlarged in 1818 and again in 1867. In 1851 there was seating for about 340 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 92 worshippers at their mornng service and 107 at their evening one, plus 22 children at the Sunday School in the morning. Services continued there until a new Baptist chapel was opened in Salop Road in 1892. The chapel in this photograph has been used for other purposes since then, including, in recent years, as offices of the National Farmers Union. The whole site was redeveloped & re-opened in 2001. The building is now used for commercial purposes.