|[former] English Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Albert Road, Oswestry
The chapel was erected by Zion Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church for those who needed a service in the English language. The chapel, designed by local architect Mr Spaull, was built of brick with firebrick bands and black & white brick arches. It measured 45 ft by 30 ft, and was estimated to hold 300 worshippers. The builder was Mr George Jones & the carpenter & joiner was Mr Hudson of Gobowen. The chapel was opened on Sunday 1 July 1866, in what was described at the time as "one of most neglected parts of the town". The chapel was replaced by a new chapel in Oswald Road in 1889. The congregation expected to raise £400-£500 pounds for the former chapel's sale when they decided to sell it. The building was described in 1892 as the "Albert Road Mission Rooms" but in 1900 was not marked as a chapel on a Ordnance Survey map of that year. In 1903 a new façade was built on the front of the chapel (on the left). The chapel now forms part of the Evangelical Church.
Grid ref: SJ 292299