Christ Church Congregational (now U.R.C. & Welsh Presbyterian) Chapel, Chapel Street, Oswestry
Christ Church, situated at the corner of Arthur Street and Chapel Street (on the site of the former borough gaol), was built in 1871-2 to a design by W.H.Spaull of Oswestry and built by Messrs Morris and Chaplin, at a cost of £5,200. The foundation stone was laid on 7th September 1871 and underneath it wered placed copies of local newspapers, coins and other documents. The chapel opened on the 18th October 1872. It is a cruciform building of Cefn stone in the Gothic style. It has a nave with apse, transepts and a tower with a spire (which was completed on 12th July 1872) 120 feet high It has sittings for 600 people. It replaced the former Congregational chapel situated a short distance away, which had been built only forty years previously. In recent years the church has joined the United Reformed Church and been joined by the Welsh Presbyterian congregation. The chapel is still used for religious purposes in 2018.
Grid ref: SJ 290297
For a photograph of the chapel taken in the late 19th century, click here.
For photographs of this chapel's predecessor, click here.