Zion Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Park Avenue, Oswestry
Zion chapel is a well maintained building with its own burial ground attached. The chapel was built in 1868 at a cost of £1400. An additional building, comprising a schoolroom, vestry and chapel house was erected at the back of the present building in 1893, at a right-angle to the chapel. These opened on 11th January 1894, and the architect & builder was Mr Thomas James of Oswestry. There is no commemorative stone on the chapel but there was a board outside in 2004, saying that there were services held there on alternate Sundays. The congregation still meet there in 2019. The congregation built their first small chapel on the Welsh Walls in 1814. When this became too small for the congregation, a new chapel was built which was opened on 6th July 1836 in Gatacre Place. The new chapel was described variously as a "substantial stone structure" of "imposing appearance" and as "built of brick with a stuccoed front", and "the interior arrangements have a neat appearance", It seated 350 worshippers. In 1851 there were 103 worshippers at their morning service and 139 at their evening one, together with 73 Sunday Scholars.
Grid ref: SJ 286296