[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Perthy, near Wlesh Frankton [former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Perthy, near Welsh Frankton
There was a Primitive Methodist cottage meeting held in the house of Hannah Batho, widow, (whose son Stephen was a local P.M. preacher for 45 years & d. 1879) in Perthy by 1851. It appears in the 1851 Religious Census when there were 20 worshippers at their morning service, 44 in the afternoon and 52 in the evening. Hannah Batho died in 1852 but the congregation had to wait for sufficient funds to be available to build their own chapel. They were very fortunate as the building was erected at the expence of Sir John Roger Kynaston, Bart. of Hardwick. The chapel was fitted up inside at the cost of the members themselves. It was described at the time as a "gothic structure" capable of holding 120 worshippers. The opening services were held on Sunday 13th March 1859. The chapel was certified as a place of worship on the 7th August 1860. Once the chapel had been built it stayed in use until sometime after 1961 and was de-registered as a place of worship on 14th May 1971. It has now been converted to residential use and is unrecognisable as a former chapel. However, the name plate on the house says "Chapel House".
Grid ref: SJ 363336

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here