[former] Prees Congregational Chapel
The foundation stones of this new chapel (designed by architect Mr Denham of Lord's Hill & built at a cost of £570) were laid by Thomas Barnes of the Quinta on the 21st April 1862 and it opened for worship on Tuesday 10th March 1863, exactly 53 years after their original chapel was opened. The commemorative stone above the central window contains the inscription "CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH ERECTED A.D. 1862". It has its own burial ground attached. The congregation paid off the debt on the chapel building on 21 May 1867. The chapel was still in use in 2001, but by 2016 had closed and was put up for sale. The building was de-registered as a place of religious worship in October 2016.
For a photograph of the chapel taken in the late 19th century, click here.
Grid ref: SJ 552335
Preaching in Prees took place in a house belonging to a shoemaker called William Humphrys in Maypole End (later called Shrewsbury Road), in 1807 & his house was licensed for religious worship on 14 November 1808. The first Congregational chapel built in Prees, almost entirely at the expence of Samuel Weston, was opened on the 10th March 1810. The Chapel, newly erected in Mill Street, was licensed at the county quarter sessions on 11th July 1809 by Samuel Weston, John Hopwood, William Humphrys, John Brooks, John Smith, John Ashley, Arthur Halbrook, Charles Broughton, Peter Edwards & William Lewis. It had seating for about 160 worshippers & had a burial ground attached. On Census Sunday in 1851 there were 104 worshippers at their morning service and 312 at their evening service (as it was a special service the attendance at the evening service was much larger than usual).