[former] United Methodist Free Church, Preesgweene, Weston Rhyn|
There was an established congregation belonging to the United Methodist Free Church here by 1863 when its baptism register begins. It seems likely that it was an amalgamation of two local congregations, the Wesleyan Methodist Association of Weston Rhyn and the Wesleyan Reformers, of The Lodge, Weston Rhyn.
The Association had occupied a rented building since 1838. In 1851 they had 69 worshippers at their afternoon service on Census Sunday and 83 at their evening service. By 1857 the building was out of repair so a site was bought for them to build their own chapel. It measured 36 ft by 24 ft, and had a schoolroom underneath, plus a cottage for the schoolmaster. It was built at an approximate cost of £300. The new chapel opened on Sunday 12th April 1857. At that meeting it was anticipated that there would be a union between the Association and the Reformers. The Methodists were still meeting in this chapel in Preesgweene in 1957 (according to O.S. maps); it is believed to have closed c. 1967. The chapel was located just to the south of the Plough Inn.
The Reformers had had a small meeting since 1843 in Weston Rhyn and had only 18 & 20 at their two Sunday services in 1851. It was reported in 1856 that "About five hears ago, the Wesleyan Reformers of the Lodge met in a small cottage with no Sabbath School, but now they have a neat chapel which will hold about 200 people and connected with it is a school of about 140 children."
Grid ref: SJ 291360