SHROPSHIRE'S NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS

Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Shifnal
Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Victoria Road, Shifnal
This brick-built chapel with an unusual spire (rising to 80 ft.) was designed by George Bidlake's former architectural partner Thomas H. Fleeming of Wolverhampton. A site was bought for 600 and tenders for its construction were invited in August 1879. The chapel was built in 1879-80 by Richard Yates of Shifnal (who specialised in church building & restoration) at a cost of 2600. The foundations stones were laid on the 21st October 1879 and the chapel opened on the 29th September 1880. It seated 350 worshippers. The building was registered for solemnizing marriages on 27th November 1880. A pipe organ was installed n 1912. The building is in good condition (having been refurbished in 1952 & 1999) & has no burial ground attached. It is still in use in 2020.
It replaced an earlier chapel built in 1815-6 at the corner of Cheapside and Shrewsbury Road which was registered as a place of worship with the Diocese of Lichfield on 23rd April 1816. In 1836 it was said to be soon enlarged. In 1851 there were 65 worshippers at their morning service and 103 at their evening one, plus 64 and 31 Sunday scholars respectively. This earlier building was offered for sale in November 1880, and was described as "now disused" in December 1880. It still exists as the rear part of Paton's garage.
Grid ref: SJ 748078

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here