[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, High Street, Shifnal
The first Primitive Methodist chapel in Shifnal was built about 1860 (& was certainly in existence by July 1862) but by 1909 it was described as "soon [to] be a thing of the past." Plans were made for the erection of a chapel "more down to date & commodious" & as a "humble and modest structure". In February 1909 tenders were invited for the building of a new small chapel immediately adjacent to the old chapel which was to be demolished. The architects Elijah Jones and Jackson of Wellington designed a chapel in the romanesque style in brick with stone dressings to cost about £300. There was to be capacity for 200 worshippers. The foundation stones were laid of the 21st May 1909 and the chapel opened on the 22nd September following. The chapel was closed c. 1947.
Grid ref: SJ 748081