Shipley Congregational Chapel, parish of Claverley
A number of congregationalists had been meeting in the local area for a number of years before a chapel was built. This chapel was situated in a place called Hillend, ESE of Upper Ludstone in the parish of Claverley, right on the county boundary. Land was bought on 22nd May 1860 and by September they had started removing and levelling the soil ready for the foundations. A gothic chapel, designed by George Bidlake of Wolverhampton, was built at a cost of £420 11s. 6d. which opened on 30th April 1861. As well as the chapel, a schoolroom and caretaker's house were built. The building continued in use as a place of worship until sometime after 1947 (when it is marked on the 1" O.S. map). It has been converted to residential use since then.
Grid ref: SO 809951